New! Paramedic Medical Malpractice Insurance
Insurance Program Designed for Ontario Paramedics
This new Medical Malpractice program was developed in partnership with Lloyd Sadd Insurance Brokers Ltd and the OPA.
The coverage available with this new new Medical Malpractice policy responds to claims of damage caused by the administration of professional services, services or care rendered incorrectly, or the failure to administer care when it is required as a paramedic. Currently, paramedics do not have this individual protection. It also includes coverage for legal expenses associated with investigating and defending the allegations. This is the only program that will provide paramedics with coverage while they are working in multiple contexts of healthcare.
This program ensures you have protection personally while working for your employer, as well as the additional contexts of healthcare noted above for only $69 per year for a limit of $5,000,000 Medical Malpractice Liability.
This national program meets and exceeds the requirements of all jurisdictions in Canada in order to best protect paramedics and paramedic students with $5 million in coverage for only $69/year. If you are performing controlled medical acts on patients, then you should carry comprehensive protection in the form of this new nation-wide Medical Malpractice insurance policy.
It is important to note this program offers different coverage than our existing Paramedic Legal Protection (LEI) program (also very important on-duty and off-duty) and includes the following benefits:
- Professional Liability/ Medical Malpractice Insurance
- Coverage follows the paramedic while working for their employer and outside of their employment if they are acting within the approved scope of practice (Good Samaritan Act)
- $0 Deductible and $5,000,000 per claim
- Legal services hotline available to all policy holders and is unlimited
- $69 per year
- Policy runs on an annual renewal date of January 1
In addition to regular paramedic practice this program also provides coverage for paramedics working in the following additional contexts of healthcare:
- Long Term Care
- Community Paramedicine
- COVID Swabbing & Vaccinations
- Remote Communities
- Hospital Settings
- Special Operations
- Clinical Settings
- All 9-1-1 Calls
What is Medical Malpractice insurance?
Medical Malpractice, also known as Errors and Omissions Liability or Professional Liability responds to claims arising from your work as a Paramedic. It responds to third-party claims of negligence on your part -whether actual or alleged -during the course of your work as a Paramedic.
The policy responds to claims of damage caused by the administration of professional services, services or care rendered incorrectly, or the failure to administer care when it is required. It also includes coverage for legal expenses associated with investigating and defending the allegations.
How can you be protected through our national paramedic insurance program?
- Policy provides $5,000,000 Per Occurrence Limit with a $10,000,000 Annual Aggregate to a member if they are named personally in a lawsuit relating to their actions as a paramedic
- Coverage is provided if the member is a contractor
- With the member programs, the members are prompted to advise of any claims prior to renewing or purchasing coverage. Helping remove this risk of their employer not promptly reporting a loss
- This policy would provide coverage if the member was in a situation outside of their employment, that required them to provide a paramedical service. E.g.at a sporting event
- This policy would assist the member with guidance through a complaint being investigated by their regulator and assist in this process from start to final adjudication.$75,000 coverage per occurrence up to $200,000 per year.
- This policy provides the member access to free legal advice with years of experience dealing with and guiding members through various regulatory complaint situations
- Additional coverage agreements are included that would not be available through their employers policy.
To learn more about this program and the amazing prices we put together for all paramedics and paramedic students in Ontario, please check out the following brochures: